Tower Hamlets LGBT Community Voices
Tower Hamlets is one of the most diverse boroughs in London, and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans+ (LGBT) community represents a significant size of population within this diversity.
Tower Hamlets has it’s own LGBT Community Forum, which brings together LGBT+ people (and allies) who live, work, study or socialise in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The forum is coordinated by ELOP and provides a safe space to discuss issues that affect the local and national LGBT community, and meet other local LGBT people for both networking and socialising.
Meetings of the forum take place on the second week of each month on either a Monday or a Wednesday at Postive East
LGBT+ Services and Support
- APANJON – Bangladeshi LGBT+ support and social group in Tower Hamlets.
- Aponghor – LGBTQ+ Bangladeshi group. Meets first Monday of the month from 5.30pm to 9pm at Poplar Union, 2 Cotalls Street, Poplar, E14 6TL
- East End Phoenix FC – LGBT+ friendly and inclusive football team. Training at Mile End Leisure Centre, Thursdays 7-8pm. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Positive East – Info and Advice around HIV related issues, including benefit advice, housing issues and employment law. Peer and Group support, health and wellbeing programme, counselling and psychotherapy service. HIV/STI testing. 020 7791 2855
- Quit Right – LGBT stop smoking support clinic in Stepney Green. 020 7882 8230
- Step-Forward – Free & confidential services for all young people aged 11-25, living in & around Tower Hamlets. Sexual health, personal development, LGBTQ+ youth group. 020 7739 3082
- Tower Hamlets LGBT Community Forum – A project that aims to bring together LGBT+ people and allies who live, work, study or socialise in Tower Hamlets to discuss and have an influence on issues which affect local LGBT+ communities, as well as to network, socialise and meet other LGBT people. Monthly meetings and newsletter. email@example.com
- Albert Kennedy Trust – Support for 16-25 LGBT people around homeless, or risk of homelessness. Advice, mentor support, emergency support pack, safe space accommodation. 020 7831 6562
- ELOP: LGBT Mental Health and Wellbeing – Low cost, high quality LGBT counselling, range of weekly and monthly social support groups. LGBT community activities, events & workshops. Training, consultancy, research and representation.
- Gendered Intelligence – Aim to increase understandings of gender diversity. We work with the trans community and those who impact on trans lives; we particularly specialise in supporting young trans people aged 8-25. 020 7832 5848
- London Friend – Services to improve the health and mental well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people. Counselling, social & support groups, drug & alcohol use, domestic abuse, sexual health, LGBT refugees & asylum seekers. 020 7833 1674
- Mermaids – Reduce isolation and loneliness for gender variant and transgender children, young people and their families. Empower families and young people with the tools they need to negotiate the education and health services. 0344 334 0550 | Mon-Fri, 9am – 9pm
- METRO – Promote health and wellbeing through services to anyone experiencing issues relating to gender, sexuality, diversity or identity. 020 8305 5000
- MOSAIC – LGBT youth club, every Wednesday from 6.30PM – 9.00PM in Euston. 0800 161 5428
- Naz Project London – Sexual health charity for LGBT BAME communities. Free counselling for mental and sexual health and well-being. Free access to peer-support groups, including HIV care, support and advocacy. 20 8741 1879
- Opening Doors London – Charity providing information and support services specifically for older lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans* people in the UK. 20 7239 0400
- Outcome @ Mind – LGBTQ+ service in Islington meets every Tuesday 10:30am and 4:00pm. 020 7272 5038 (Tuesdays only)
- Stonewall Housing – Housing advice and support for LGBT+ people. Supported housing for adults and young people. 020 7359 5767
- UKLGIG – One-to-one support and peer support groups for LGBTQI+ asylum seekers. 020 7922 7811
- LGBT Foundation – LGBT Foundation is a national charity delivering advice, support and information services to lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities. 0345 3 30 30 30
- LGBT Switchboard – LGBT Switchboard is an information, support and referral service for lesbians, gay men and bisexual and trans people – and anyone considering issues around their sexuality and/or gender identity. 0300 330 0630
- Stonewall – Stonewall’s work now focuses on working with organisations to bring equality to gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans people at home, at school, and at work. 020 7593 1850